Ecosystem mapping template
Used 240 times
Use this ecosystem mapping template to set a direction for your research and take the pulse of your brand’s ecosystem. The ecomap is a deep dive over a sustained period of time to understand the established and emerging competition.
- Create a visually-rich ecomap. Add links, articles, sheets and more.
- Identify and monetize on your unique place in the market.
- Understand where holes exist and what pain points are not currently being addressed by other mission-driven organizations.
Xtensio is your team space for beautiful living documents.
Create, manage and share business collateral, easily.
Join the 24,542 changemakers.
How to create an ecomap with Xtensio
- Click and start editing, no account or credit card required.
Follow along with the instructional ecomap details. Add charts, graphs, images, and videos to customize the ecomap template and make it your own. Drag & drop. Resize. It’s the easiest editor ever.
- Customize everything in the ecomap template to match your brand.
Define your style guide. Add your (or your client’s) brand fonts and colors.
You can even pull colors directly from a website to easily brand your ecomap templates and more.
- Work on ecosystem mapping together on the cloud.
Add colleagues (or clients) to collaborate on the performance ecomap template. Changes automatically save and sync across all devices, in real-time.
- Share a link. Present a slideshow. Embed. Download a PDF/PNG.
The ecomap template seamlessly adapts to your workflow. No more jumping from tool-to-tool to design different types of deliverables.
- Reuse and repurpose.
Save your own custom marketing templates. Or copy and merge into other documents.
Example ecomap templates
Easily create, manage and share impressive, professional documents for every part of your business.
Xtensio is much more than your standard ecosystem map builder.
What is ecosystem mapping?
Ecosystem mapping — also called landscape research, competitive scan, or a number of other related terms — involves a deep dive over a sustained period of time to understand the established and emerging competition. This exercise will help you understand where holes exist and what pain points are not currently being addressed in the market.
How do I create an ecomap?
Here are some tactics to improve your ecosystem mapping work:
- Keep a database. When you start learning about your competitor companies or complementary organizations, add them to a list, and grow that list rapidly during the first phase of your research.
- Visualize your data. When you learn about competitor companies or complementary organizations, pin, post, or write them onto a “map” that makes sense for your work.
- Sign up for e-newsletters. When you identify organizations that most closely resemble yours, sign up for their newsletters. There’s no better way to hear about their latest news and progress than having it delivered directly into your inbox.
- Create a Twitter list. Put companies, thought leaders, policymakers, and funders from your ecosystem into a Twitter list, and set yourself a calendar reminder to scroll through that feed once per week.
- Go to conferences and trade shows. Talk to people who do the same kind of work as you. Play the name game — who do they know that you do not, and vice versa.
- Be curious. If you read a news headline that tangentially relates to your work, click through and read the entire article. Sometimes, journalists will find previously unknown innovators, and you don’t want to miss that scoop.
- Set up Google alerts. We probably all know we can do this, but few of us do. You should.
The ecosystem map is part of these toolboxes:
Check out related templates, examples and resources.
More templates related to ecosystem mapping
See how Xtensio can help your business
Used by the world’s top businesses.
24,542 users and counting.
Frequently asked questions
Xtensio is the quickest and easiest way for teams to create, share and manage all of their business documents together. Create pitches, sales sheets, reports, case studies, agendas and more. Add images, videos, tables, buttons and other interactive modules. Drag and drop, resize, change backgrounds, colors. Share a link. Present a digital slideshow. Export a PDF/PNG.
A folio is a live webpage, a full-screen digital slideshow presentation and an exportable PDF/PNG document all-in-one. Folios are responsive, collaborative and completely customizable.
Start from an instructional template, editable example or a blank folio to build all your business documents and presentations with the ease of a web builder. Add team members and guests to work together in real-time on the cloud. Changes instantly sync to the live version of the folio so both internal and external stakeholders are always up-to-date. Folios are the next generation of flexible documents and presentations.
Unlike other presentation or document creators, Xtensio works like a web builder so you can easily drag and drop interactive content, customize the layout, and change colors, fonts, backgrounds to get professional-looking business content out the door quickly, without needing a designer.
You can collaborate with team members and guests to work together in real-time on the cloud. And the flexibility to share folios as live web links, digital slideshow presentations or exportable PDF/PNGs means you don’t have to jump between tools when creating different deliverables. Check out this page to see how Xtensio outpaces the competition.
Yes. All Xtensio plans include 128 bit SSL encryption and backups to ensure your data is secure. You can make shared folio links private on premium plans. Here’s more on the range of sharing options on Xtensio, from completely private to public.
Yes. You can try out Xtensio’s simple editor and any template, including the ecomap templates without creating an account. To save your work, collaborate with your team and access other premium features and resources, you can upgrade to premium. Plans start at $8 per month.
By upgrading to our premium plans, you’ll have a private, branded workspace with your own URL where you, your team members and guests can create and collaborate on multiple presentations and documents.
You’ll be able to lock branding across your deliverables with the team style guide, streamline the creation process with custom templates, unlock exports, add password protection and customize individual shared links, and view folio stats to stay updated on all of your projects. Here’s more about our premium plans.
Creating a fundraising report helps you define and visualize your financial plan and budget allocations. This is especially useful for startups trying to raise capital for operations and non-profits trying to raise funds for the greater good. It can also be used to outline a financial summary at larger companies, within individual departments or even your own personal expenses.
Yes! We have a couple of ecosystem mapping examples above that you can use as a starting point for your own. If you find a style you like, use it for your inspiration. Just click on one of the examples further up on this page to save it as a folio and start editing with your own content.
Ecosystem mapping requires more than a simple Google search. You’ll want to dive into your market landscape to learn as much as you can about your competitors.
Yes! You can invite as many people as you’d like to collaborate on your employee handbook and other business documents, ensuring your whole team is aligned. Xtensio helps improve the way your team works. Here’s more on real-time collaboration.
Choose your file format. Present it as a full-screen digital slideshow, share it as a responsive web link or export it as a PDF (customize the PDF size) or PNG.
We do! There are a number of different business strategy templates, examples and resources to guide you through the process of establishing and growing your company. Check out our Xtensio for Startups and our Strategy toolbox to find more tools and resources.