Business Model Canvas Template
Used 6838 times
Geared towards new and existing businesses, the business model canvas helps you re-evaluate your unique value proposition in regards to your customer segments, business activities, cost structure, and revenue streams in a lean one-page diagram. Use Xtensio’s business model canvas template to define your company’s unique value proposition and ongoing business plan.
- Create a clear, concise and focused business model canvas to highlight how to get your products to the customer and how your business will generate income and profit.
- Define product-market fit and identify customer needs.
- Connect the dots between your value proposition, your customer segments and revenue streams.
- Streamline planning, development and execution across your business.
Xtensio is your team space for beautiful living documents.
Create, manage and share business collateral, easily.
Join the 24,540 changemakers.
How to create a business model canvas with Xtensio
- Click and start editing, no account or credit card required.
Follow along with the instructional canvas template details. Add charts, graphs, images, and videos. Drag & drop. Resize. Customize the canvas format however you need. It’s the easiest editor ever.
- Customize everything in the template to match your brand.
Define your style guide. Add your (or your client’s) brand fonts and colors. You can even pull colors directly from a website to easily brand your business model canvas and more.
- Work on your value proposition and business models together on the cloud.
Add colleagues (or clients) to collaborate on the business model canvas template. Changes automatically save and sync across all devices, in real-time.
- Share a link. Present a slideshow. Embed. Download a PDF/PNG.
The business model canvas seamlessly adapts to your workflow. No more jumping from tool-to-tool to design different types of deliverables.
- Reuse and repurpose.
Save your own custom business model canvas template. Or copy and merge into other documents.
Example business model canvas templates
Easily create, manage and share impressive, professional documents for every part of your business.
Xtensio is much more than your standard business model canvas builder.
What is a business model canvas template?
The business model canvas was proposed by Alexander Osterwalder based on his book: Business Model Ontology. The template provides the structure of a business plan in a concise, 9-segment canvas that outlines business elements to describe how your company plans to bring in revenue streams.
New business ideas, startups and evolving companies use business models to identify key resources, target their ideal customer segment, outline key partners and structure their main revenue stream. A well-developed business model canvas will help streamline planning, development, and execution across your business. It should align everyone’s objectives and eliminate inconsistencies between the various people who contribute to your business objectives.
What are the 9 parts of a business model?
There are 9 building blocks in the business model canvas that outline key business drivers. These building blocks are key elements at understanding how your business can make money.
- Key Partnerships: Who would you like to have as your business partners, suppliers, or collaborators on your business idea?
- Key Activities: Identify the key steps you need to take in order for your business to deliver on its promises and make sure development rolls out smoothly. What actions or activities do your value propositions require you to make?
- Key Resources: Identify your key resources and find your differentiating factor among your competitors. What strategic assets do you need to launch and operate your business?
- Unique Value Proposition: Your value proposition should quickly and clearly convey the value of your service or product provides to the customer. What is your business promising to its audience, and how does your product or service stand out? If you have multiple customer segments you may have a few different value propositions.
- Customer Relationships: Determine how your customers will interact with your products and services (internet, phone, in-person). Then write down guidelines for creating, maintaining, and growing your customer relationships.
- Distribution and Marketing Channels: These are the different channels your team uses to communicate, sell, or provide service for customers.
- Customer Segments: Who are your key customers? Investigate your customer needs and problems to identify what channels are ideal for each of your customer segments.
- Cost Structure: In this block, you’ll detail the cost associated with your business model and identify cost drivers. What will it cost to launch and maintain your new products and services? Consider how your key activities drive costs and analyze if these costs are aligned with your value propositions.
- Revenue Streams: How will your business make money? Where is your company driving new business and income from?
The Business Model Canvas is part of these toolboxes:
Check out related templates, examples and resources.
More templates related to business model canvas:
See how Xtensio can help your business
Used by the world’s top businesses.
24,540 users and counting.
Frequently asked questions
Xtensio is the quickest and easiest way for teams to create, share and manage all of their business documents together. Create pitches, sales sheets, reports, case studies, agendas and more. Add images, videos, tables, buttons and other interactive modules. Drag and drop, resize, change backgrounds, colors. Share a link. Present a digital slideshow. Export a PDF/PNG.
A folio is a live webpage, a full-screen digital slideshow presentation and an exportable PDF/PNG document all-in-one. Folios are responsive, collaborative and completely customizable.
Start from an instructional template, editable example or a blank folio to build all your business documents and presentations with the ease of a web builder. Add team members and guests to work together in real-time on the cloud. Changes instantly sync to the live version of the folio so both internal and external stakeholders are always up-to-date. Folios are the next generation of flexible documents and presentations.
Unlike other presentation or document creators, Xtensio works like a web builder so you can easily drag and drop interactive content, customize the layout, and change colors, fonts, backgrounds to get professional-looking business content out the door quickly, without needing a designer.
You can collaborate with team members and guests to work together in real-time on the cloud. And the flexibility to share folios as live web links, digital slideshow presentations or exportable PDF/PNGs means you don’t have to jump between tools when creating different deliverables. Check out this page to see how Xtensio outpaces the competition.
Yes. All Xtensio plans include 128 bit SSL encryption and backups to ensure your data is secure. You can make shared folio links private on premium plans. Here’s more on the range of sharing options on Xtensio, from completely private to public.
Yes. You can try out Xtensio’s simple editor and any template, including the business model canvas template without creating an account. To save your work, collaborate with your team and access other premium features and resources, you can upgrade to premium. Plans start at $8 per month.
By upgrading to our premium plans, you’ll have a private, branded workspace with your own URL where you, your team members and guests can create and collaborate on multiple presentations and documents.
You’ll be able to lock branding across your deliverables with the team style guide, streamline the creation process with custom templates, unlock exports, add password protection and customize individual shared links, and view folio stats to stay updated on all of your projects. Here’s more about our premium plans.
A well-developed business model canvas will help streamline planning, development, and execution across any new or existing business. It should align everyone’s objectives and eliminate inconsistencies between the various people who contribute to your business objectives. Some companies create different business models and business model canvases for each revenue stream or sales channel to get an in-depth look at various aspects of their business activities, customer base, business structures, partners and resources.
Yes! We have a couple of business model canvas samples above that you can use as a starting point for your own. If you find a style you like, use it for your inspiration. Just click on one of the examples further up on this page to save it as a folio and start editing with your own content.
Your business model canvas should outline how you stand out from your competition. And unique value proposition should quickly and clearly convey the value of your service or product, explain how your product or service is better than the competition and talk about the benefits and features that define your product or service.
Yes! You can invite as many people as you’d like to collaborate on your business plan and other documents, ensuring your every team member is aligned on your value proposition, revenue streams, customer relationships and key activities. As a platform, Xtensio helps improve the way your team works. Here’s more on real-time collaboration.
When you’re ready to share your company business model, choose between presenting it as a full-screen digital slideshow, sending it as a responsive web link or exporting your fact sheet as a PDF or PNG. All of your share options are located at the top right of your edit screen. Learn more about the different ways to share your folios in this tutorial video.
We do! There are a number of different business strategy templates, examples and resources to guide you through the process of establishing and growing your business. Check out our Strategy Toolbox and our Business Development Toolbox to find more tools and resources.