Business requirements document
Used 702 times
The business requirements document (BRD template) outlines the goals and expectations of a project. It includes both functional and non-functional project requirements including the customer’s needs and expectations, the purpose behind the solution and any high-level constraints that could impact a successful deployment of the project.
- Concisely and visually describe the problems the project is trying to solve and the required outcomes needed to deliver value.
- Gain agreement with project stakeholders and set measurable business objectives.
- Establish a foundation to communicate solutions and expected deliverables and outcomes to satisfy the customer’s and business’ needs.
Xtensio is your team space for beautiful living documents.
Create, manage and share business collateral, easily.
Join the 24,540 changemakers.
How to create a business requirements document with Xtensio
- Click and start editing, no account or credit card required.
Follow along with the instructional brd template details. Add charts, graphs, images, and videos to customize the business requirements document and make it your own. Drag & drop. Resize. It’s the easiest editor ever.
- Customize everything in the business requirements document template to match your brand.
Define your style guide. Add your (or your client’s) brand fonts and colors. You can even pull colors directly from a website to easily brand your business requirements documents and more.
- Work on the business requirements document template together on the cloud.
Add colleagues (or clients) to collaborate on the free business requirements document template. Changes automatically save and sync across all devices, in real-time.
- Share a link. Present a slideshow. Embed. Download a PDF/PNG.
The business requirements document seamlessly adapts to your workflow. No more jumping from tool-to-tool to design different types of deliverables.
- Reuse and repurpose.
Save your own custom requirements document templates. Or copy and merge into other documents.
Easily create, manage and share impressive, professional documents for every part of your business.
Xtensio is much more than your standard business requirements document builder.
What should be included in a business requirements document?
When kicking off a project, it’s imperative that all project stakeholders understand the expected outcomes of the partnership. That’s where a business requirements document (BRD) comes in handy. Generally, a BRD is used to detail a business’s needs when seeking a new technology provider, consultant or outside vendor.
The project requirements document template helps your team details a project and outline the business objectives you expect to achieve. Explain functional requirements, scope, and both your business and customer expectations related to the project in detail and include customer expectations, detailed technical and experience requirements, roadblocks, questions and comments.
How do you write a requirement document?
While each project requires unique requirements, BRDs generally contain a few common sections.
- Executive Summary: Give a high-level overview of the project, problem and proposed solution.
- Project Objective: Describe the desired results of the project, which often includes tangible deliverables.
- Needs Statement: Explain why the project is needed for the business and your target customer, and describe how the project will meet these needs.
- Project Scope: Summarize the business requirements for this project. What should be included in the scope and what should not?.
- Functional Requirements: Outline, in detail, the functional requirements and corresponding features including diagrams, charts, and timelines.
- Non-Functional Requirements: Detail non-functional requirements, such as processing time, concurrent users, availability, etc. These criteria will be used to assess the system operation, rather than specific behaviors.
- Schedule, Timeline and Deadline: Outline a project timeline to ensure that all stakeholders are aware of the deadline and important milestones along the way.
- Risks: Identify the risks to show you know what they are, and also identify ways in which you would mitigate those risks.
- Glossary of Terms: If needed, add a glossary of terms used in the document for clarification. These could be terms that are unique to the organization, the technology being used in the project or the standards in use.
The Business Requirements Document is part of these toolboxes:
Check out related templates, examples and resources.
More templates related to business requirements document
See how Xtensio can help your business
Used by the world’s top businesses.
24,540 users and counting.
Frequently asked questions
Xtensio is the quickest and easiest way for teams to create, share and manage all of their business documents together. Create pitches, sales sheets, reports, case studies, agendas and more. Add images, videos, tables, buttons and other interactive modules. Drag and drop, resize, change backgrounds, colors. Share a link. Present a digital slideshow. Export a PDF/PNG.
A folio is a live webpage, a full-screen digital slideshow presentation and an exportable PDF/PNG document all-in-one. Folios are responsive, collaborative and completely customizable.
Start from an instructional template, editable example or a blank folio to build all your business documents and presentations with the ease of a web builder. Add team members and guests to work together in real-time on the cloud. Changes instantly sync to the live version of the folio so both internal and external stakeholders are always up-to-date. Folios are the next generation of flexible documents and presentations.
Unlike other presentation or document creators, Xtensio works like a web builder so you can easily drag and drop interactive content, customize the layout, and change colors, fonts, backgrounds to get professional-looking business content out the door quickly, without needing a designer.
You can collaborate with team members and guests to work together in real-time on the cloud. And the flexibility to share folios as live web links, digital slideshow presentations or exportable PDF/PNGs means you don’t have to jump between tools when creating different deliverables. Check out this page to see how Xtensio outpaces the competition.
Yes. All Xtensio plans include 128 bit SSL encryption and backups to ensure your data is secure. You can make shared folio links private on premium plans. Here’s more on the range of sharing options on Xtensio, from completely private to public.
Yes. You can try out Xtensio’s simple editor and any template, including the fundraising report template without creating an account. To save your work, collaborate with your team and access other premium features and resources, you can upgrade to premium. Plans start at $8 per month.
By upgrading to our premium plans, you’ll have a private, branded workspace with your own URL where you, your team members and guests can create and collaborate on multiple presentations and documents.
You’ll be able to lock branding across your deliverables with the team style guide, streamline the creation process with custom templates, unlock exports, add password protection and customize individual shared links, and view folio stats to stay updated on all of your projects. Here’s more about our premium plans.
The business requirements document template helps your team details a project and outline the objectives you expect to achieve. Explain functional requirements, scope, and both your business and customer expectations related to the project.
You should include any and all important details about the project progress – expectations, detailed technical and experience requirements, roadblocks and questions.
The living business requirements document template allows you to instantly sync with your team, different departments and management. You can add collaborators to work in real-time. And you can share the customizable link to keep colleagues up-to-date on your progress.
Yes! You can invite as many people as you’d like to collaborate on your requirements documents. As a platform, Xtensio helps improve the way your team works.
Choose your file format. Present it as a full-screen digital slideshow, share it as a responsive web link or export it as a PDF (customize the PDF size) or PNG.